Monday, April 21, 2014


It's spring! And I've been craving some gorgeous spring colors on my nails, but I haven't really been inspired to wear "spring" nails - like flowers and bunnies and all that jazz. I knew I wanted to use Seafoam and Sweet Morning Dew, then I decided I wanted to use my seashell studs, and from there mermaid nails were born.
Gelish Spring Mermaid Nails
I'm in love with these nails. IN LOVE. I don't even have them on anymore and I'm still in love with them. If my nails hadn't been freakishly long (for my tastes) I would've kept them on for a third week. I loved the colors and the studs (gurl, I went STUD CRAZY) and OMG THE FOIL NAIL. Right now I'm like:
No joke. I also used the Gelish VitaGel Nourishing as the base coat for this mani. I've been hesitant to pick up a VitaGel because I read horrible reviews when they first came out. But my nails are just... guys, they're tore up. Not even gonna lie. It's because I use too many coats of Top It Off combined with Structure and studs and... it makes removal really, really hard on my nails.

But I'm happy to report I'm writing this up a day after removal with the VitaGel basecoat and... removal was fantastic!! I thought it'd be a particularly hard removal sesh, as the studs + the Structure make it difficult for the acetone to break down the polish, but the Vitagel came off super smooth and in solid pieces. I used it exactly as I would've used regular Foundation, dry brush and all, and I had absolutely no problems with wear. No peeling or lifting, removal was great, and my nails looked substantially less tore up once I got the polish off. I think I might switch exclusively over to VitaGel for my manis here on out!

Oh, and I'm stoopid for not taking before/after pics for the VitaGel. Lots of fail right there.

For the above manicure I did the following:

Thumb Nail:
  1. • 2 coats Sweet Morning Dew, cure all coats
  2. • Dabbed Gelish Structure onto the polish and pressed the studs in, cure
  3. • Finished with 2 coats of TIO, cure all coats

Index Nail:
  1. • 3 coats Seafoam, cure all coats
  2. • 1 coat Candy Shop, cure
  3. • Dabbed Gelish Structure onto the polish and pressed the studs in, cure
  4. • Finished with 2 coats of TIO, cure all coats

Middle Nail:
  1. • 1 coat Oocha Coocha, cure
  2. • 1 coat Are You Feeling It?, cure
  3. • 1 coat Oocha Coocha, cure
  4. • 1 coat of TIO, cure
  5. • Wipe tacky layer. Stamp image using Konad White and MoYou Suki 01 plate. Let dry completely.
  6. • Finished with 1 coat of TIO, cure

Ring Nail:
  1. • 2 coats Sweet Morning Dew, cure all coats
  2. • Dabbed Gelish Structure onto the polish and pressed the studs in, cure
  3. • Finished with 2 coats of TIO, cure all coats

Pinky Nail:
  1. • 3 coats Seafoam, cure all coats
  2. • Press gold foil into the tacky layer until desired look is achieved
  3. • Finished with 1 coat of TIO, cure

0 comments:

Post a Comment